POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Linux directory usage question : Re: ADS on NTFS and reported HDD usage Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:24:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ADS on NTFS and reported HDD usage
From: Darren New
Date: 18 Sep 2009 12:08:16
Message: <4ab3b070$1@news.povray.org>
TC wrote:
> There is no easy way to access ADS in Windows Explorer. The only way to do
> it is use API-calls to access the ADS (to my best knowledge).

You can open any stream by name. It's

C:\Users\Darren\Desktop>echo hello >hello.txt
C:\Users\Darren\Desktop>echo goodbye >hello.txt:goodbye.txt
C:\Users\Darren\Desktop>type hello.txt
hello
C:\Users\Darren\Desktop>more < hello.txt:goodbye.txt
goodbye

Some programs try to parse the file name, but < and > don't, so it works fine.

Of course, yes, to get a list of what streams are out there, you need API calls.

> Again to my best knowledge (which is somewhat lacking in the field of file
> systems, admittedly), you have to scan every single directory using
> API-calls to determine which ADS-files are stored on your HDD.

Yes. As is true of Linux's extended attributes and Mac's file forks, too.

> So, if you are in the mood, you could fill a seemingly empty HDD by creating
> a few really huge ADS-files on  it.

Yep.

> Anybody wanting to write to this HDD should be ready for an interesting
> experience...

If you're malicious and don't care if you get caught after the fact, and the
person you're pulling this trick on doesn't know about ADS, then yes, this
can happen.

Now that you know, go download the free program that scans your disk and
finds your ADS's for you, and you don't have to worry any more. :-)

> I hope linux ext2 does not do the same.

I believe ext2 puts an upper limit on how much you can store in ADS.
Something like 64K IIRC.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)